We've been serving parents across the GTA since 2004!We've learned a thing or two in that time.
COVID-19 and Discover Birth
COVID-19 is changing how we all work and live. It’s no different for us, but you’re still having a baby and still need this valuable support. We are committed to providing support to expectant and new families. For existing clients you can expect your educator or doula to work with you virtually or in person, based on your preference. We are taking firm and important steps in protecting families. They can be found below.
We would like to include several links to help families as they navigate some important decisions about protecting themselves and doing what is best for their long-term physical and mental health.
This page has a LOT of great evidence-based information about COVID-19 as it relates to pregnancy, birthing, and breastfeeding during the pandemic.
How We’re Still Helping Families
Virtual LIVE classes
All of our in-person classes are now available online during COVID-19 restrictions! Please book your preferred date and location and we will go back to in-person as soon as it’s safe to do so. Dynamic and engaging online platform. Learn what you need to know and ask questions. Check our dates here.
We’re happy to run all your errands so you can stay home safe with baby and keep COVID-19 OUT of your sacred space.
Cost: $25/hr plus the cost of items purchased, minimum 2-hour fee. Book HERE.
You’ll start with a call with a professional doula who can chat with you about your needs, make suggestions and recommendations and who will get the right things to make your transition to parenthood easier. Who wouldn’t want a baby expert to go out and buy your baby things during a pandemic?
Postpartum Doula Support
We will continue to provide in-home support as essential workers to provide critical support for families who have physical or mental health needs that require the in-person support. We will follow current infection control guidelines based on our training and will follow the precautions listed on this page.
Whenever possible we will provide virtual support. Here are some of the things we can do virtually (and have been doing virtually with success)
- Private childbirth classes
- Postpartum support: education and support for infant feeding, infant soothing, infant sleep, postpartum recovery, common baby and birthing parent questions
- Birth doula support: YES, we can still ‘be there’ with you in labour. We are working with families to provide additional support to partners to take over the hands-on component of labour. We have several experiences now of being present on Zoom or other virtual platforms and have been able to be ‘in the room’ virtually, provide emotional support, suggestions for comfort measures, and help with advocacy.
We will continue to offer our in-home care to families who require this due to physical or mental health needs. As professionals, here is what we will commit to:
- Practice social distancing outside of client support
- Wash hands thoroughly at home before we come to you, and again on arrival at your home, and frequently throughout each day
- Avoid touching our eyes, nose, mouth
- Use your cleaning products to wipe down surfaces in your home when we arrive, and again before we leave
- Change clothes before we come to your home, and between clients
- Check ourselves daily for fever, and before we come to you
- Bring nothing from the outside into your home (baby carriers, bags, blankets, etc.)
- Cancel immediately (and send a backup doula) if we or anyone in our home, or anyone whom we’ve been in contact with, shows symptoms
- Wear gloves while we are in your home, if you’d prefer
- Provide physical distancing even within your home, if you’d prefer – we can offer guidance and ideas, give breastfeeding support, prepare food, fold laundry, and do household organization from a distance while you rest and snuggle with your baby; we can have as little or as much contact with the baby as you’d prefer
- Provide virtual support any time you prefer (guidance and ideas, processing, emotional support, breastfeeding information can all be given virtually)
We will also rely on you to let US know if anyone in your family has had any exposure to anyone with the virus, has traveled within the pat 14 days, or has any signs of illness.
Terms of Service
These are some tough times for everyone. Well maybe not everyone, but they sure are for us here at DiscoverBirth. Like many, our industry has been hard hit by the pandemic. While we would love to refund people on case by case basis, depending on the situation, that’s just not possible for most small businesses. Like all responsible businesses, we are committed to delivering you a great service that will help you prepare for your birth or care for your new baby.
We are adhering to our terms of services, which are agreed to when you book a service. Here’s what we WILL DO in ADDITION to providing you a great service:
- We will extend the expiry date on all postpartum bookings if you choose not to use our virtual or in-person support
- We will offer you an in-person private childbirth class in your home if you prefer not to attend the virtual ones (or defer to a class once things are up and running)
- We will provide you with 8 hours of postpartum support in lieu of your birth doula support if you prefer not to have your doula at your birth virtually (most hospitals are allowing only one person currently)
- We will extend a credit that can be used for any other services offered by the original team member you booked
- We will keep fighting for families to have access to the support people they need where and when they need it