HypnoBirthing ® - The Mongan Method"My dream is that every woman, everywhere, will know the joy of a safe, satisfying birth for both her baby and herself—one she'll not need to forget.” Marie F. Mongan, 1999
HypnoBirthing ® – The Mongan Method
Are you hoping for a calm, relaxed and gentle birth?
Take the HypnoBirthing ® – The Mongan Method prenatal classes and experience a birthing experience using deep relaxation techniques.
The HypnoBirthing® classes are taught in a series of five 2-hour classes. HypnoBirthing® classes are designed to prepare you in a positive and empowering way for the birth of your baby. The HypnoBirthing® program will teach you how to stay in control during the birthing process, adopting an active role and using easy to learn self hypnosis techniques.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- Everything you need to know to achieve a safer, easier and more comfortable birth
- To explore the myth that pain is a necessary accompaniment to labour
- Techniques of deep relaxation to help you eliminate the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome
- How your body is naturally designed to conceive, nurture and birth your baby with ease and comfort
- To create your body’s own natural relaxant, the safest labour enhancement
- Natural ways to bring your body into labour
- How you and your birthing companion can create a birthing environment that is calm, serene and joyful
- Gentle birthing techniques that allow you to breathe your baby into the world
- To use your natural birthing instincts to birth your baby in a way that most mirrors the way nature intended
“We welcomed our baby girl River on December 18th after a 4.5 hour labour. My labour was not 100% pain free but it was 100% amazing!
I literally got everything I really wanted out of her birth. My favorite midwife who was with me for my son’s birth was on call so that was amazing. The hospital staff went out of their way to accommodate us. They gave me the room furthest away from everyone else and let me skip the triage/admission process so I didn’t have to spend an hour hooked up to a monitor in that little room with 5 other women. The nurse I had was funny and very supportive of everything we asked for. The OB who was on call was a little apprehensive about some things (me not “pushing”, wanting to birth in hands/knees position, midwife or Jeff catching baby) but when the time came, she stood back and let my midwife and her student deliver and threw Jeff a pair of gloves! Everything just kept falling into place. The visualizations and breathing really helped me stay focused. Jeff was awesome. Did everything I needed and more. The OB and nurse were amazed at how well I was able to work WITH my body as I breathed her out in 20 minutes. Especially considering she came out like her brother with her hand up at her face!
I feel amazing both physically and more importantly – emotionally! I am so greatful to have met you Janet ? Your class really helped me achieve what I wanted and needed. I feel even more released from the negative emotions of my first labour. We are all so blissful right now. “
$ 450-$600 per couple – book today to reserve your spot!
Classes currently available as private classes OR group classes.
Classes are taught in 5 sessions (2 hours each class). They can be done virtually for private one-on-one ($600 per couple) or group in-person ($450 per couple). Class times for privates have some flexibility.
Our next group class dates
Location: 28 Main Street North Newmarket Ontario
Your Trainer: Johanna
Johanna Dinsdale, BASc, DipHyp, HB is a HypnoBirthing® Practitioner and Clinical Hypnotist who has dedicated years of study into understanding the complexity of the human mind and body. Johanna’s field of expertise began with an interest in pain management through hypnosis, which naturally led into the fascinating study of HypnoBirthing®.
Johanna is known for her dedication to an evidence based approach to HypnpBirthing®, using only the highest quality methods in session, such as the Mongan Method. Caring and compassionate, she is an advocate for expecting couples.
If you still have questions - and here are some we get asked sometimes – we’ve got some answers for you!
Why Take Classes?
I can picture 100 years ago Dorothy saying “if Ruth can do this so can I!” Childbirth classes help to bring that knowledge and confidence back to expecting women and their support persons. And no, watching “A Baby Story” doesn’t count! In fact, media has done us WAY more harm than good. It is NOT a good tool for birth preparation.
How do I know which classes to take?
It’s kind of like asking “what car should I buy”. It depends! Selecting the right childbirth education class can help give you the information you need to have a healthy and fulfilling childbirth experience. The challenge comes with knowing which childbirth education class to choose.
Here are a few things that we (and Lamaze® International – a leader in childbirth education) recommend that you look for when choosing your childbirth educator:
1- A certified childbirth educator
Certification conveys that the educator has the knowledge and skills that help women give birth with confidence and joy! The educator also guides women through the maze of modern obstetrics so that they are able to make truly informed decisions about their health care. A certified educator is a skilled teacher, a knowledgeable professional and a passionate advocate for women and their families.
2- Informed decisions
A curriculum that supports birth as normal, natural and healthy, and empowers women to make informed decisions. Look for someone who helps you make your own decisions, not someone who ‘tells’ you their opinions.
3- Varied content
Class content should include information about labour, birth and early postpartum; positioning for labour and birth; relaxation and massage techniques to ease pain; labour support; communication skills; information about medical procedures; breastfeeding; and healthy lifestyles.
4- Length of course
This is a big one!! Lots of people may choose a class based on price. Things to consider are “How much instruction am I getting for this reduced price?” and “Will I have to pay parking in addition to the course fee?”. Some courses cost less but you get a condensed course that allows little time for discussion. A Lamaze® class for example is required to have at least 12 hours of instruction (ours are often 15) with emphasis on skills practice (especially positioning and relaxation), comfort measures and class discussion.
Research tells us that childbirth educations helps to:
- Bring about positive change in some health behaviors 1
- Increase communication with partners 2
- Increased relaxation 2
- Increased confidence for labor and birth 2
- Decrease anxiety 3
What Topics are Covered in a Mongan Method HypnoBirthing® Class?
Topics covered will include:
- Late pregnancy health and wellness (nutrition, exercise) and anatomy
- Physical and emotional aspects of labour and birth
- Coping strategies and comfort measures (including: positioning to facilitate the normal progress of labor and birth, massage techniques to ease the pain of labour and enhance relaxation, understanding the use of heat, cold, pressure and hydrotherapy)
- Relaxation skills for use during labour and after pregnancy to relieve stress
- Understanding the importance and role of support and the impact on the childbirth experience
- Awareness and informed decision-making
- Communication skills for the pregnant woman with her partner and the members of her health care team
Some things that aren’t really covered in a Mongan Method HypnoBirthing® class include medications and interventions in labour, newborn care, breastfeeding, and postpartum recovery. You can add these on as a private class or you may be able to join one of our Lamaze series at the end when those topics are discussed.